Saturday, May 1, 2010


A Day Without Digital Technology

A day without using a significant piece of modern digital technology such as a cell phone, a laptop, Facebook, or even the Internet should be simple and stress free, but it is truly more complex than one would imagine. Could you last a day without one of these technological marvels? I attempted to go one day without my cell phone. Initially it did not seem more than the emptiness in my pocket or the dreaded feeling that I had forgotten something. However, not having my cell phone seemed to inconvenience others wanting to contact me. My roommate begrudgingly acted as my answering service, constantly relaying messages to me. In turn, I had to locate friends during the course of the day to communicate subject matter that could not wait any longer. Although I felt having to search for friends was a waste of time, I did enjoy the outdoors. Throughout the school day, I could not text anyone to finalize plans, take pictures, or play games for entertainment when I was bored. I am definitely more dependent on my cell phone than I anticipated.

Wendell Berry, author and farmer for over thirty years, views technology as an unwanted expenditure of money, time, and energy. After reading his article, "Why I Am Not Going To Buy A Computer," detailing his opinions on computers and technology, I believe he could effortlessly complete a day without technology. Berry's wife types his writings on a typewriter instead of using a computer. According to Berry, the price for computers is prohibitive. While the monetary cost for computers may decline, the sacrifices are just too great. Berry notes public schools have computers, but not enough money to purchase textbooks. He also laments that computers do not promote world peace, solve ecological ailments, or encourage integrity. He masterfully argues using a computer would also compromise his relationship with his wife since her skills would no longer be required.

I can somewhat agree with Berry's belief that technological dependence is excessive. Integrating computers into the educational system seems to be going too far if students do not have access to books. I understand his perspective on spending quality time with loved ones; however, a cell phone allows me to quickly contact more people than if I had to personally locate them.

In my life today, removing all forms of technological devices would be disastrous. All of my college instructors place information, alerts, assignments, and grades on an Internet website, Desire2Learn. Teachers send out mass emails to the class documenting significant dates and revising assignments. Email is the preferred method for corresponding with teachers. I feel integrated advanced technology in college life is necessary. Teaching students hos to successfully manage the technology will provide basic skills needed to survive after graduation.

I do appreciate Berry's handwritten work using pen/pencil and paper since I too enjoy writing. I used to write by hand, but then it became too cumbersome transferring thoughts from paper to computer, so now I primarily use the computer. I do envy the fact that he can write whenever and wherever he desires, but because of my growing affinity for the computer I no longer have that luxury. I feel as if technology is constantly changing, and I am becoming addicted. The only reason I wish technology changes would slow is so that I could possibly start a journal and hand write stories, just as Berry does.

12 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience as you. It was difficult to get together with friends during the day, and they also grew impatient with me not knowing what was going on. The big thing that I agree with you is on college life. It really is necessary to have the use of digital technology to keep in contact with professors. Not only that, but most of my professors pretty much require that we check our mailbox everyday because anything sent out in an e-mail could be on a quiz for the next class time. Without the internet college life would be so much more stressful and we would feel lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to start my day without technology not because I just haven't had the time, but because i know that I need technology on most days so far. I need it to make plans, study, and be with friends. Don't get me wrong here though I can go without a phone/computer/internet but while being here at school it is truly hard when you are on your own needing to depend on technology for school work. We are doing this assignment on technology. I love going to Canada to fish where I get no cell phone service or internet. Its nice to see our Earth the way it should be without something in your pocket vibrating or making noises keeping you connected.

    Could you go a week without technology for your own personal gain during summer or would that be pushing it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went a day without technology already and it sucked. Have you ever done laundry without your iPod? It is way too boring! But like Smith said, I can go all day without my phone and internet when I am home because I am not constantly checking my assignments or other things. But when I am at school I need to be connected at all times! I need to be able to contact my family, I need to be able to e-mail my teacher, I need my technology. I am addicted. But the moment I go home for summer, I will not be on my social networking websites, trust. I do not understand how Berry can do work without a computer, he has to be crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going a day without technology is something that I have done in the past, but have not had the chance because of important dates and receiving e-mails about assignments. I was actually relieved of some stress because I felt like I was not on anyone's schedule except my own. I do agree that technology is integrated into society so much that if we took it away it would be a catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My experience without technology seems a lot easier than yours. I think this is due to the fact that I waited until the weekend when I was home with my best friend being distracted by all there was to do out in the country. Although I had a few people to answer to at the end of the weekend when they questioned why they were unable to reach me, I had no trouble making and carrying out plans, but I can see how this could be a huge problem in a normal setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I went my day without technology, I had almost the same difficulties. I could not reach anyone, so I had to go out and personally look for them. It was a hassle, but I almost enjoyed not having my annoying phone going off every ten seconds. I like how you tied Berry's essay into you Day Without Technology. It provided the reader with another account of being without technology. Also, you have a very clean writing style. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Technology is such an integrated part of our society it makes it very hard to go more than a few hours without it so a whole day is very troubling. I agree I would love more time to hand write stories and papers but with our fast paced world we don't have that luxury. I don't think I could ever go more than a couple hours without my phone because I can do so many things on it, like check my email without having to boot up my laptop. Technology is just so convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the little graphic that you posted--it's very cute, and so suitable to your subject!

    I think we all experienced the same sort of difficulties in living without technology for a day--in particular, we all have computer work which is required merely because we are in school! This obligatory connectedness is perhaps understandable in college, but I have to wonder why we're so anxious to introduce elementary kids to it--after all, in addition to the difficulties of being technology-less for a day, there are advantages, like finishing work early and hanging out with friends without interruption.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @crazykid09--Berry isn't crazy; he just has never been exposed to technology the way you and I have. If he was 25--well, I'm not sure that he could graduate high school now, much less college, without the same indoctrination into technology that we've had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a hard time communicating with my friends for the simplest things when i decided to give up my phone for a day. It was also shocking that when I turned on my phone the next day I had 25 text messages and 7 missed calls on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can give up internet for a day because I do not use it too much, and I can give television up for a day because I do not watch too much of that either but i cannot give up my phone for a day because there could be an emergency at any moment and I can not afford to not know if something happens.

    ReplyDelete